(3 days to ferment)
2-3 carrots to = 2 cups
diakon or other radish to = 2 cups
fennel fronds to = 2 cups
2 Tblsp of natural sea salt – large crystal
Great for increasing the beneficial bacterial of the gut (intestines) and assimilation of nutrients. Arouses appetite and promotes digestion. Tonifies the Kidneys, aids: Lungs, Liver, Spleen and Stomach, lubricates: Large Intestines and increases blood and qi circulation. Disperses dampness, phlegm, heat and water. Calms the spirit. Aids one’s natural appetite to return.
Fermenting the vegetables:
- Mix recipe ingredients in non-breakable bowl.
- Pound with: a) the bottom of a heavy-duty glass jar, or b) pestle, or c) the top end of the head of a kitchen mallet/hammer until mixture sounds wet and juicy. (about 5 minutes)
- Pack tightly into a large-mouth jar. Mixture is to be 1 inch from jar top (expands when ferments), with water up to the lip. (If you do not add water: mixture may mold.)
- Screw on lid. Place jar in flat bottom bowl in consistently warm area of home, for 3 days.
- Each morning: Make sure to check the top of mixture for any discolored (oxidized) vegetable matter. Remove with spoon, and add more water to top of jar.
- Refrigerate after 72 hours. Serving: 2 Tblsp before each meal.
Makes 4 cups naturally fermented vegetables with lactobacilli (beneficial intestinal bacteria).