(3 days to ferment)
Grate to equal:
1 cup of celery root
1 cup or kohlrabi
3 cups of carrots
Chop to equal:
1 cup of leek greens
1 cup of the whites of bok choy
2 Tblsp of natural sea salt, large crystal
Great for increasing the beneficial bacteria of the gut (intestines) and assimilation of nutrients. Arouses appetite and promotes digestion. Supports the Liver, lubricates Intestines. Aids: Lungs, Stomach and Spleen. Great for Qi and Blood circulation, dispersing dampness, heat, phlegm and water. Calms the spirit.
Fermenting the vegetables:
- Mix recipe ingredients in non-breakable bowl.
- Pound with: a) the bottom of a heavy-duty glass jar, or b) pestle, or c) the top end of the head of a kitchen mallet/hammer until mixture sounds wet and juicy. (about 5 minutes)
- Pack tightly into a large-mouth jar. Mixture is to be 1 inch from jar top (expands when ferments), with water up to the lip. (If you do not add water: mixture may mold.)
- Screw on lid. Place jar in flat bottom bowl in consistently warm area of home, for 3 days.
- Each morning: Make sure to check the top of mixture for any discolored (oxidized) vegetable matter. Remove with spoon, and add more water to top of jar.
- Refrigerate after 72 hours. Serving: 2 Tblsp before each meal.
Makes 4 cups naturally fermented vegetables with lactobacilli (beneficial intestinal bacteria).