Makes 1 quart
(3 days to ferment)
beets to = 4 cups (3-4 beets or so)
carrots to = 1.5 cups (2 carrots)
fresh fennel fronds (chop) and bulb (grate) to = 2 cups (1 large fennel plant)
1 packed cup of dry sea hijiki seaweed to = 1/4 cup (use clean coffee grinder)
1.5 Tblsp of natural sea salt
Great for increasing the beneficial bacteria of the gut (intestines) and assimilation of nutrients within the small intestines. Arouses appetite and promotes digestion. Tonifies the Heart cleanses the Liver, aids: Lungs, Kidneys, Spleen, Stomach. Blood and qi tonic dispersing dampness, excess heat and toxins. Calms the spirit. Relieves pain and harmonizes Middle Burner/digestion (fennel).
Fermenting the vegetables:
- Mix recipe ingredients in non-breakable bowl.
- Pound with: a) the bottom of a heavy-duty glass jar, or b) pestle, or c) the top end of the head of a kitchen mallet/hammer until mixture sounds wet and juicy. (about 5 minutes)
- Pack tightly into a large-mouth jar. Mixture is to be 1 inch from jar top (expands when ferments), with water up to the lip. (If you do not add water: mixture may mold.)
- Screw on lid. Place jar in flat bottom bowl in consistently warm area of home, for 3 days.
- Each morning: Make sure to check the top of mixture for any discolored (oxidized) vegetable matter. Remove with spoon, and add more water to top of jar.
- Refrigerate after 72 hours. Serving: 2 Tblsp before each meal.
Makes 4 cups naturally fermented vegetables with lactobacilli (beneficial intestinal bacteria).