Fermented Carrot and Turnip
Makes 1 quart
(3 days to ferment)
Grate: carrots (6-8) to = 4.5 cups
turnip (1-2) to = 1.5 cups
Add: 2 Tblsp of coarse natural sea salt
Great for increasing the beneficial bacteria of the gut (intestines) and assimilation of nutrients within the small intestines. Arouses appetite and promotes digestion. Tonifies the Liver, aids: Lungs, Spleen/Pancreas, Stomach, Blood and qi tonic dispersing dampness, excess heat and toxins. Energy enters all 12 meridian systems/organs (turnips). Sends energy downward to lower bowel and reproductive organs. Moves fluids, moistening mucus membranes; clears sinuses. Relaxes back, nervous system.
Fermenting the vegetables:
- Mix recipe ingredients in non-breakable bowl.
- Pound with: a) the bottom of a heavy-duty glass jar, or b) pestle, or c) the top end of the head of a kitchen mallet/hammer until mixture sounds wet and juicy. (about 5 minutes)
- Pack tightly into a large-mouth jar. Mixture is to be 1 inch from jar top (expands when ferments), with water up to the lip. (If you do not add water: mixture may mold.)
- Screw on lid. Place jar in flat bottom bowl in consistently warm area of home, for 3 days.
- Each morning: Make sure to check the top of mixture for any discolored (oxidized) vegetable matter. Remove with spoon, and add more water to top of jar.
- Refrigerate after 72 hours. Serving: 2 Tblsp before each meal.
Makes 4 cups naturally fermented vegetables with lactobacilli (beneficial intestinal bacteria).