(3 days to ferment)
1 small green cabbage
daikon or other radish to = 1.5 cup
fresh green chives to = 1/8 cup (OR green onion greens to = 1/4 cup)
2 Tblsp of natural sea salt – large crystal
Great for increasing the beneficial bacterial of the gut (intestines) and assimilation of nutrients. Arouses appetite and promotes digestion. Tonifies the Kidneys, aids: Lungs, Liver, Spleen and Stomach, lubricates: Large Intestines and increases blood and qi circulation. Disperses dampness, phlegm, heat and water. Calms the spirit.
(Yellow Chinese Chives can assist recovery from weak sexual dysfunction: cook Chinese Chives with: black beans, black sesame seeds, walnuts, sour plums [umboshi plums] and 2 tsp of honey. Make a paste and take 1 Tblsp 3 x day per Maoshing Ni from page 34 of The Tao of Nutrition)
Fermenting the vegetables:
- Mix recipe ingredients in non-breakable bowl.
- Pound with: a) the bottom of a heavy-duty glass jar, or b) pestle, or c) the top end of the head of a kitchen mallet/hammer until mixture sounds wet and juicy. (about 5 minutes)
- Pack tightly into a large-mouth jar. Mixture is to be 1 inch from jar top (expands when ferments), with water up to the lip. (If you do not add water: mixture may mold.)
- Screw on lid. Place jar in flat bottom bowl in consistently warm area of home, for 3 days.
- Each morning: Make sure to check the top of mixture for any discolored (oxidized) vegetable matter. Remove with spoon, and add more water to top of jar.
- Refrigerate after 72 hours. Serving: 2 Tblsp before each meal.
Makes 4 cups naturally fermented vegetables with lactobacilli (beneficial intestinal bacteria).