(3 days to ferment)
2 beet to = 2 cups
3 branches celery diced finely equaling 1-2 cups
Diakon or other radish to =2 cups
1.5 Tblsp of natural COURSE sea salt
Great for increasing the beneficial bacteria of the gut (intestines) and assimilation of nutrients. Arouses appetite and promotes digestion. Tonifies the Heart cleanses the Liver, aids: Lungs, Kidneys, Spleen, lubricates: Large and Small Intestines and increases blood and chi circulation. Blood and yang tonic dispersing dampness, heat and water. Calms the spirit. I really feel this recipe in the sigmoid colon—may help to abate constipation.
Fermenting the vegetables:
- Mix recipe ingredients in non-breakable bowl.
- Pound with: a) the bottom of a heavy-duty glass jar, or b) pestle, or c) the top end of the head of a kitchen mallet/hammer until mixture sounds wet and juicy. (about 5 minutes)
- Pack tightly into a large-mouth jar. Mixture is to be 1 inch from jar top (expands when ferments), with water up to the lip. (If you do not add water: mixture may mold.)
- Screw on lid. Place jar in flat bottom bowl in consistently warm area of home, for 3 days.
- Each morning: Make sure to check the top of mixture for any discolored (oxidized) vegetable matter. Remove with spoon, and add more water to top of jar.
- Refrigerate after 72 hours. Serving: 2 Tblsp before each meal.
Makes 4 cups naturally fermented vegetables with lactobacilli (beneficial intestinal bacteria).